You are here
Pay It Forward!
In 2017, the UArizona Department of Emergency Medicine Residency Program celebrated its 35th anniversary. Since its inception in 1982, our residency program has grown to three programs with a total of 78 slots. Each year we receive more than 50 applicants for every residency opening, making our programs extremely competitive. Our combined Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics Residency Program is one of only four in the country. We also have a host of unique fellowships for physicians-in-training looking to specialize in exciting fields within EM.
This and the caliber of our alumni, many of whom have become national and international leaders in their fields, speak to the quality of our education, which provides both comprehensive and specialized learning opportunities for the next generation of EM physicians.
Despite these possibilities, advanced medical training remains a challenging and expensive commitment. State and hospital funding continues to shrink and the budget is roughly 50 percent of what it was when you were a resident. The department is looking to you and the rest of our alumni for help. Your support alleviates financial burdens and helps students make the most of their time here. It also allows us to recruit the best and brightest, enabling a healthier future.
Alumni donations are tax-deductible and will offer tremendous education and research opportunities for our residents and faculty – all for the ultimate benefit of improving patient care. The best part is that you can decide where you want your donation to go. There are even opportunities for you to name a program.
For example, a $500 gift will send a senior resident to ACEP or a resident to SAEM to present their research abstract. These are real experiences that shape these young emergency physicians' careers. We need about 25 Resident Travel Scholarships every year! Your annual gift can carry your name or group’s name as a Travel Award.
Please Pay it Forward! by clicking here to link you to the UA Foundation. You can then direct your donation (in the comments box) to any of the following programs:
- Emergency medicine residency programs general fund (research, travel, awards)
- Specific Emergency Medicine residency programs: University Campus Residency; South Campus Residency; and Combined Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics Residency
- Global health initiatives (including travel for international work)
- Spanish for Emergency Physician Residents (Spanish instructors)
- Alumni social at ACEP
Your gift will work to ensure that our department continues to:
- Attract the nation’s best and brightest resident physicians and train them to become leading emergency medicine physician-scientists
- Be the international leader in airway management research
- Be a frontrunner in advancing clinical translational research
- Develop innovative early interventions for brain injuries in the prehospital setting
- Serve as a leader in emergency critical care medicine
- Emerge as a national program in emergency medicine global health initiatives
- Improve the emergency care of people, not only in Arizona but worldwide.
Or you can send us a check made payable to The University of Arizona Foundation and mail to the address below. If you are interested in naming a program or endowment, I will personally come to you to discuss it. We greatly appreciate your support!
If you are interested in exploring how you can be involved in making lives better through supporting UA Emergency Medicine in any capacity, please contact:
Samuel M. Keim, MD
Professor and Chair, UArizona Department of Emergency Medicine
1501 N. Campbell Avenue
P.O. Box 245057
Tucson, AZ 85724-5057